Pimiento Cress Whirligigs
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
|Chopped watercress leaves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pimiento cheese spread||5 Ounce (1 Jar)|
|Liquid red pepper seasoning||3 Drop (Adjust Quantity As Per Taste)|
|Soft white bread slices||12|
1. Cream butter or margarine in a small bowl; stir in the watercress. Blend the cheese spread and liquid red-pepper seasoning in a second small bowl.
2. Trim crusts from the bread. Line up 2 slices, slightly overlapping, on bread board; roll thin with a rolling pin. (Slices will stick together to make a rectangle.) Spread with 1/3 of the watercress butter.
3. Roll 2 more slices bread and spread with one-third of cheese spread. Place the cheese-topped slice on watercress-topped slice leaving about 1/2 inch uncovered on one end; starting here, roll up, jelly-roll fashion. (This makes a neatly shaped pinwheel.)
4. Repeat with the remaining bread and fillings to make 2 more rolls. Wrap each tightly in waxed paper, foil or plastic wrap. Chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
5. When ready to serve, unwrap the rolls and slice each crosswise into 10 pinwheels.