Old Fashioned Penuche
|Firmly packed light brown sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Light cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pecans/Walnuts||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), chopped|
1. Prepare a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan by gently buttering it all over
2. In a large heavy, 3-quart saucepan, pour out the sugar and cream and place the pan over low heat. Stir the mixture constantly over low heat till the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to boiling point
3. Cook this mixture while stirring occasionally. The candy thermometer should register 234F and the syrup forms a soft ball in cold water.
4. Remove this from heat and then add butter to the pan and set aside to cool. Do not stir the pan as it cools.
5. Add vanilla to the pan and beat again till it is thick and creamy
6. Add the nuts and beat again
7. Turn the mixture into a prepared loaf pan and then let it cool completely.
8. When the mixture is completely cool, use a sharp knife to cut into 1-inch squares. Wrap each piece in foil for storing in the refrigerator.
9. Unwrap pieces before serving and let it come to room temperature
10. Serve as a dessert