Frosted Penuche Squares
|For basic penuche|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|For basic divinity|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped pistachio nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Make Basic Penuche: Combine sugars, butter, salt and milk in a large, heavy saucepan.
2. Heat, stirring constantly, just until sugar dissolves, then cook rapidly to 240° on a candy thermometer. (Syrup forms a soft ball when it's dropped into cold water.)
3. Cool in pan on rack to 110°.
4. Beat 8 to 10 minutes, or until light in color and very thick. (It will still be glossy.) Pour into a buttered, 8x8x2-inch pan; cool.
5. Make Basic Divinity: Combine the sugar, corn syrup and water in a medium-size, heavy saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, to boiling. (Wrap a fork in damp paper toweling and wipe sugar crystals from side of pan as mixture heats.)
6. Cook rapidly to 260° on candy tard cups. Brush lightly over the "fruits" to tint. Roll the strawberries in red decorating sugar for texture and use whole cloves for stems of fruit. Let stand again until dry. Store in refrigerator.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5880 Calories from Fat 693
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 80 g123.3%
Saturated Fat 33.4 g166.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 130.7 mg43.6%
Sodium 954.7 mg39.8%
Total Carbohydrates 1313 g437.8%
Dietary Fiber 7.5 g29.8%
Sugars 1208 g
Protein 33 g66.2%
Vitamin A 37.4% Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 88.1% Iron 35.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet