Port Poached Pears with Zabaglione Cream
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For the Port Poached Pears)|
|Port||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For the Port Poached Pears)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For the Port Poached Pears)|
|Vanilla extract/Vanilla bean||1 Teaspoon (For the Port Poached Pears)|
|Cinnamon sticks||2 Large (For the Port Poached Pears)|
|Whole cloves||1 Teaspoon (For the Port Poached Pears)|
|Pears||3 Large, peeled, halved and cored (For the Port Poached Pears)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon (For the Port Poached Pears)|
|Egg yolks||6 Large (For the Zabaglione Cream)|
|Caster sugar||6 Tablespoon (For the Zabaglione Cream)|
|Marsala wine||4 Tablespoon (For the Zabaglione Cream)|
|Heavy cream||8 Tablespoon (For the Zabaglione Cream)|
|Powdered sugar||2 Tablespoon (For the Zabaglione Cream)|
1. Peel the pears, leaving their stems intact. Remove seeds with a melon baller. Place each pear in a bowl of water with lemon juice to keep from browning.
2. To poach the pears, combine ingredients for poaching liquid into a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the pears.
3. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer pears covered, until they are tender. (About 15-30 minutes) To check for doneness, pierce the thickest section of the pear with a toothpick.
4. Remove from heat and transfer pears to a platter to cool.
5. Bring poaching liquid back to a boil until the liquid reduces to a thin syrupy consistency.
6. Remove from heat and strain the poaching liquid over pears.
7. To make the Zabaglione Cream whip egg yolks and sugar in a heat resistant bowl until pale yellow and forms a ribbon. Slowly mix in wine.
8. Bring a pot of water to a simmer over medium-low heat. Transfer bowl to a double boiler and keep whisking until the mixture thickens. It should coat the back of the spoon. You want your eggs to cook slowly so the mixture stays very smooth.
9. Remove from heat and set the pan over a bowl of ice water.
10. Cover the surface of the Zabaglione and refrigerate.
11. Whip cream before serving and fold it into the zabaglione until smooth.
12. Spoon the Zabaglione Cream on top of the poached pears and serve cold.
You can also use Zabaglione to make tiramisu. Could also stir in Mascarpone cheese instead of whipped cream.
Use the extra port wine to make creamy chicken Marsala.
Calories 873 Calories from Fat 204
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.5%
Saturated Fat 12.1 g60.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 425 mg141.7%
Sodium 35.9 mg1.5%
Total Carbohydrates 152 g50.7%
Dietary Fiber 8.6 g34.6%
Sugars 130.9 g
Protein 7 g13.4%
Vitamin A 21.6% Vitamin C 18.3%
Calcium 11.5% Iron 8.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet