Baked Pear with Wildflower Honey, Wine, and Vanilla
|Firm pears||4 Large (Anjou or Bosc)|
|Wildflower honey/Any pure honey||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sweet wine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Riesling or sauterne)|
|Vanilla bean||1 , split lengthwise|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon|
|Black peppercorns||1 Tablespoon, cracked|
|Light brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), packed|
|Balsamic vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
1. Start by preheating the oven to 400° F,
2. Start trimming the bottoms of the pears so that they stand upright.
3. In an ovenproof dish, place the pears
4. In a bowl, pour honey with the wine and mix it properly, then spoon it over the pears which are kept in the ovenproof dish, then add the vanilla bean.
5 Now bake the pears mix with all the other ingredeints, place them on the lower rack of the oven, keep basting it every 15 minutes, for about 45 minutes
6. Once the pears are baked completely, remove them from the oven.
7. In a shallow dish, transfer the baked pears to cool down.
8. In a saucepan, spoon the cooking syrup and vanilla bean into a saucepan and boil it over medium high heat, then cook it for 4 to 5 minutes, until the syrup becomes thick enough to coat the back of the spoon
9. Take out the mixture from the pan and strain through a fine sieve.
10. Reserve the vanilla bean from the suacepan, and add the vanilla extract to the sauce, on a cutting board place the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds from it with using a small paring knife
11. In the vanilla bean sauce, add the seeds, and also discard the bean.
12. In a small skillet, toast the cracked peppercorns over low heat for about 3 minutes, until the pappercorns smoke little bit, finally transfer to a plate to cool it.
13. Take a melon ball cutter, and use it to remove the core of each pear from the base and discard them, also trim the bottom of the pears again so that they sit flat.
14. In a shallow pan, place the pears , and fit under the broiler, the pears is set under the boiler because while heating, the pears will only by 2 inches away from the heat
15. Take out the pears from the pan, and place them on a surface, now sprinkle with brown sugar and broil for about 2 minutes, until the sugar turns smooth and gets combined, rotate the pears to for glaze
16. Place the pears and spoon sauce over them and,
using an eye-dropper drizzle balsamic vinegar over the sauce and also sprinkle peppercorns over the pears and sauce on each plate, finally garnish with sprigs of mint
Calories 578 Calories from Fat 3
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.38 g0.58%
Saturated Fat 0.02 g0.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 10.4 mg0.4%
Total Carbohydrates 127 g42.4%
Dietary Fiber 7.8 g31.1%
Sugars 106.2 g
Protein 1 g2.9%
Vitamin A 2.8% Vitamin C 17.2%
Calcium 3.9% Iron 3.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet