1. Stud each pear quarter with a few whole cloves.
2. Put into sterilized 1 quart glass jar with screw lid.
3. Combine reserved pear syrup, sugar, and cinnamon drops in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a few drops of red food coloring, if deeper red color is desired.
4. Let cool for about ½ hour, and then pour over studded pear quarters and seal. Refrigerate.
5. Serve as a condiment for ham or other meats, or as a topping for ice cream. This makes about 10 pear quarters and will keep in the refrigerator about 1 week.
You must make this addition to your holiday table at least one day ahead, in order to get the pears to absorb the clove and cinnamon flavor and the bright red color.
This will be a dramatic addition to your meal! Enjoy! --Betty