Peach and Brandy Pie
|Ripe peach||6 Large|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Grams Or 3 Tablespoon)|
|Brandy||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Superfine sugar||3 Ounce (75 Gram Or 6 Tablespoon, Superfine Sugar)|
|Puff pastry||1 Pound (450 Grams)|
|Vanilla ice cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Serving)|
|For the glaze|
|Granulated sugar||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
1. Immerse the peaches in boiling water for about 30 seconds. Lift them out with a slotted spoon, dip in cold water, then peel off the skins. Halve and stone (pit) the peaches, then cut into slices.
2. Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the peach slices, then sprinkle with the brandy and sugar. Cook for about 4 minutes, shaking the pan frequently, or until the sugar has dissolved and the peaches are tender. Set the pan aside to cool.
3. Cut the pastry into two pieces, one very slightly larger than the other. Roll out on a lightly floured surface and, using plates or cake tins as a guide, cut the larger piece of pastry into a 30cm/ 12in circle and the smaller one into a 28cm/11in circle.
4. Place the pastry rounds on separate large baking sheets lined with baking parchment, cover with clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas 6. Remove the clear film from the pastry rounds. Spoon the peaches into the middle of the larger round and use a spoon to spread them out to within about 2cm/2in of the edge.
6. Place the smaller pastry round on top, shaping it in a mound over the peaches. Brush the edge of the larger pastry round with water, then fold this over the top pastry round and press to seal. Twist the edges together to make a pattern all the way round.
7. Make the glaze by mixing the egg and water together in a cup. Lightly brush it over the pastry and sprinkle over the granulated sugar, spreading it evenly over the pastry. Make five or six small crescent-shape slashes on the top of the pastry, radiating from the centre towards the edge.
8. Bake the pie for about 45 minutes, or until the pastry is risen and golden brown. Serve warm in slices with vanilla ice cream.