Black Eyed Peas with Sweet and Sour Pork
|Boneless pork loin||1⁄2 Pound, cut into thin slices (Rib End)|
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Dried black-eyed peas||1 Pound (1 Package)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (As Needed)|
|Ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Green pepper||1 Large, cut into winch-wide strips|
|Canned pineapple chunks in juice||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soy sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Salad oil||1 Teaspoon|
1. In hot oil in 4-quart Dutch oven, saute pork strips, turning with tongs, until browned on all sides.
2. In it saute onion stirring until golden for about 3 to 5 minutes.
3. To prepare peas rinse it well and drain.
4. Add to pork, along with 5 1/2 cups water, 1 tablespoon salt, the pepper and basil and bring to boiling.
5. Reduce heat and simmer gently, covered, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes until peas are tender.
6. Place green-pepper strips and 1/2 teaspoon salt in center of pork mixture and simmer, covered, until peppers are just fork-tender-€”about 7 minutes.
To Make sauce:
7. Drain pineapple, pouring juice into a 2-cup measure.
8. Add water to measure 1 1/2 cups.
9. Cut pineapple chunks in half.
10. In a small saucepan, mix well combining sugar, cornstarch and ginger.
11. Gradually stir in reserved juice, vinegar and soy sauce, bring to boiling, stirring and boil 2 minutes.
12. Pour the sauce over green pepper in Dutch oven.
13. Turn into serving dish, with pork land vegetables in center surrounded by black-eyed peas and serve.