Farm Style Green Peas
|Butter/Butter /margarine||2 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||2 Medium, peeled and diced|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium, peeled and sliced thin|
|Romaine lettuce leaves/Iceberg lettuce||2|
|Green peas/2 (10-ounce) packages frozen peas (do not thaw)||3 Pound, shelled|
|Minced parsley||1 Teaspoon|
|Apple cider||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Apple Juice)|
|Minced fresh chervil/1/2 teaspoon dried chervil||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a large saucepan, melt drippings or butter
2. Add carrots and onion, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Arrange the lettuce leaves over the carrots and onion,
4. Top with peas and sprinkle with sugar, salt, pepper, parsley.
5. Pour over the cider or apple juice.
6. Cover pan with lid and simmer vegetables for 10 if using fresh peas, or about 7 minutes for frozen peas broken into smaller chunks.
7. Drain and reserve cooking liquid.
8. Remove and discard lettuce.
9. Empty peas into a serving bowl and keep warm
10. Return pan with the cooking liquid on a medium flame and boil until it reduces to 1/4 cup.
11. Pour the reduced cooking liquid over the warm vegetables.
12. Garnish with chervil.