Down here in the South, there’s nothing better than some good luck black eyed peas on New Year’s Day! So this is my tasty version.
1⁄4 Pound, diced
1 Medium, diced
4 , minced
1 , cut in half (half diced with seeds and half without)
Black eyed peas
8 Cup (128 tbs), soaked overnight
Canned diced tomatoes
1. In a hot pan over medium high heat, put pancetta and allow to cook until golden brown, for about 3-5 minutes, stirring continuously.
2. Turn the heat to medium, add in the onions and salt, and cook until they get translucent, for 5 minutes more, scrap the bottom of pan occasionally.
3. Stir in minced garlic and the diced jalapeno, cook for another minute.
4. Add the black eyed peas, and stir well to mix.
5. Stir in diced tomato, and add beef broth, and bay leaf.
6. Turn the heat to a medium low, cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes, and check occasionally and add stock or water if needed.
7. Add in salt and pepper and stir to mix.
A much-coveted member of the protein-dense legume family, black eyed peas makes for a scrumptious, healthy addition to any meal. The good part about this dish is that it barely warrants any arduous preparation time. Just gather all the ingredients and you are good to go! A lip-smacking addition to your holiday spread any day.