Flaky Pastry With All Purpose Flour
|All-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lard/Shortening - 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ice water||3 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 450F.
2) In a medium bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, blend while adding the shortening. Mix to get a coarse consistency.
3) Into the pastry mixture add in ice water, a tablespoon at a time.
4) Toss the pastry around lightly. The dough should be moist by not to the point of sticky.
5) Roll the pastry into a ball and flatten it to a 1-inch thickness. Keep in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer.
6) On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry out into a 11-inch circle. Fold the pastry into half.
7) Transfer onto a 9-inch pie plate. Ensure the fold is in the centre. Unfold, and carefully place the pastry to fit into the pie plate without stretching.
8) Fold the excess pastry under the crust. Press into the rim firmly. Make decorative crimps along the edges. Prick the surface of the pie with a fork.
9) Chill for 30 minutes.
10) Bake the pie shell for about 10 minutes or till it becomes golden brown.
11) Cool down the pie before serving.
12) Serve the flaky pastry with a filling of your choice. Serve with whipped cream on the side.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1071 Calories from Fat 627
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 70 g107%
Saturated Fat 27 g134.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.9 mg21.6%
Sodium 972.8 mg40.5%
Total Carbohydrates 95 g31.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.5%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 13 g25.8%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 2.1% Iron 32.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet