Basic Puff Pastry
|Plain flour||8 Ounce|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Ice cold water||1⁄4 Pint (Or As Required)|
1) In a bowl, sift flour and salt.
2) Add in a piece of walnut-sized butter.
3) In a bowl, add lemon juice to water and make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in about two-thirds of the liquid.
4) Mix using a palette, or round-bladed, knife.
5) Add the remaining water when the dough starts to form.
6) Lightly dust a board with flower and turn out the dough.
7) Knead well for 2-3 minutes, then roll out 1/2-3/4 inch thick..
8) If required, beat the butter to make it pliable and place in centre of dough.
9) Fold up over butter to enclose it completely.
10) Wrap in a cloth or piece of greaseproof paper and put in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
11) Flour the slab or work top and put on dough, the join facing upwards.
12) Bring the rolling pin down on to the dough 3-4 times to flatten it slightly.
13) Now roll out to a rectangle about 1/2 -3/4 inch thick.
14) Fold into three, ends to middle and if required pull the ends to keep them triangular.
15) Press on the edges to seal.
16) Roll out again and fold in three.
17) Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
18) Repeat for a total of 6 turns with three 15-minute rests after each two turns.
19) Leave in the refrigerator till required.