Short Crust and Rough Puff Pastry
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||12 Tablespoon, cold cut into small pieces|
|Cold water||6 Tablespoon|
1) In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
2) To this, add the butter.
3) With two table knives, cut the butter into the flour quickly, until the butter becomes tiny pieces. However, do not work on it for more than a few minutes.
4) To this, add half the water.
5) With a fork, quickly blend the water into the flour mixture.
6) Now, continue to add a little more water, until the you can gather the dough together into a firm ball.
7) In a plastic wrap or wax paper, wrap the dough and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. Or, store it in freezer for 20 minutes until the outside is slightly frozen.
8) Now, to roll out short-crust pastry, first remove the dough from the refrigerator and put it on a cool, floured surface. (a marble slab)
9) With your hand, press the dough out partially.
10) With a rolling pin, give the dough a few gentle smacks to flatten and soften it.
11) Now, roll out the dough from the center until the pastry forms a 1/2 inch thick circle.
12) Now, turn the pastry over to flour both the sides.
13) Continue to roll until the circle is 1/8 inch thick.
14) You can roll out rough puff pastry by placing the dough on a cool, floured surface and smacking it flat with the rolling pin.
15) Then, turn the dough over to coat both sides with flour.
16) Roll out the pastry quickly into a rectangle, about 1 foot long and 5 to 6 inches wide.
17) Now, fold the edges together gently. First, fold the two short ends to meet each other in the center and then fold again to align the folded edges with each other.
18) Roll the pastry into a rectangle again and fold again similarly. .
19) Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
20) For short-crust pastry, repeat this process 2 or 3 times more before rolling the pastry into a circle about 1/8 inch thick. You should always keep the pastry dough in the refrigerator in between rolling.
21) Use the pastry dough as required for your recipes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1973 Calories from Fat 1299
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 148 g227.4%
Saturated Fat 92.8 g463.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 387 mg129%
Sodium 511.6 mg21.3%
Total Carbohydrates 143 g47.7%
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g20.3%
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 21 g41.8%
Vitamin A 90% Vitamin C
Calcium 7.4% Iron 48.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet