Plain Pie Pastry Or Short Crust Pastry
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chilled butter||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Lard/Vegetable shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), chilled|
|Ice water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (For Mixing)|
1. Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
2. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in shortening until mixture is like cookie crumbs.
3. Sprinkle with ice water, tossing dry mixture with a fork, until about three quarters of the water has been used.
4. Quickly pat pastry into a ball, then add enough extra water to dampen remaining loose pastry and make it cohere.
5. Press dough into two portions, one slightly larger than the other.
6. Wrap in wax paper and chill for at least 15 minutes before rolling. Use for unbaked or baked pie shell, or for 6 small tarts.