|Puff pastry||1⁄2 Pound (225 gram, round)|
|Cooking apples||1 Pound (450 gram)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Ounce (15 gram)|
|Soft brown sugar||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Pinch|
1) Roll the prepared pastry out to an oblong about 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) thick.
2) Trim the edges into straight and then cut eight squares out of it.
3) Leave the pastry to rest while preparing the filling.
4) Peel, quarter and core the apples. Cut in pieces.
5) In a pan, add the apple flesh with butter.
6) Cover the pan with a lid and simmer gently for about 10 minutes until the apples are quite soft.
7) Remove the pan from heat and beat with a wooden spoon to make a puree.
8) Stir in he sugar to sweeten and cinnamon to taste.
9) Allow the filling to cool slightly.
10) Divide the filling evenly between the pastry squares, spooning the mixture into one triangular half.
11) Damp the pastry edges and fold the other half over cornerwise.
12) Seal the edges by pressing them gently.
13) With the floured prongs of a fork, mark the edges
14) On a wetted baking tray, arrange the turnovers and brush with mixed egg and milk.
15) Place above centre in a very hot oven (425°F, 220°C or Gas No. 7) and bake for 10 minutes.
16)Lower the heat to moderately hot (375°F, 190°C or Gas No. 5) and bake for a further 20 minutes.
17) Serve the turnovers with apple sauce and cream.
Calories 356 Calories from Fat 158
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.1%
Saturated Fat 3.6 g18.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40.6 mg13.5%
Sodium 110.1 mg4.6%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g16%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17%
Sugars 25.6 g
Protein 4 g8.7%
Vitamin A 3.7% Vitamin C 11.6%
Calcium 2.2% Iron 7.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet