Shortcrust Pastry Mix
|Plain flour||1 Kilogram (2 Lb)|
|Salt||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|White vegetable fat||225 Gram (8 Oz)|
|Margarine||225 Gram (8 Oz)|
1. Into a large basin, sift the flour and salt together.
2. Cut the vegetable fat and margarine into bead sized cubes and bring to room temperature.
3. To the flour add the fats and using your fingertips or 2 palette knives, rub in or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles crumbs.
4. Use a fork or palette knife to mix quickly and lightly until the mixture is free of lumps and all the fat has been incorporated into the flour.
5. Empty the pastry mix into an airtight container or a zip lock bag
6. Refrigerate the pastry mix for at least 30 minutes allowing it to rest and chill before using.
7. The pastry mix can be kept in the refrigerator for several days up to 2 to 3 months.
8. Simply add 1 to 3 tablespoons of cold water to the measured amount of pastry mix required in a recipe
9. Use the dough to make crisp pastry for dessert or cake recipes
Use 6 oz (175 g) of the mix if recipe calls for 4 oz (100 g) shortcrust pastry.
Use 9 oz (250 g) of the mix for 6 oz (175 g) shortcrust pastry.
Use 12 oz (350 g) of the mix for 8 oz (225 g) shortcrust pastry.