Rough Puff Pastry With Lemon
|Plain flour||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Butter/Margarine||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Vegetable fat||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Pint (1 1/2 Dl, To Mix)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
1. Into a large basin, sift the flour and salt together.
2. Cut the vegetable fat and margarine into bead sized cubes. The fat should be hard.
3. To the flour add the fats and using your fingertips or 2 palette knives, rub in or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles crumbs.
4. Use a fork or palette knife to mix quickly and lightly until the mixture is free of lumps and all the fat has been incorporated into the flour.
5. Combine lemon juice and water and add to the flour mixture.
6. Use a fork or palette knife to mix quickly and lightly until the mixture forms a ball.
7. Turn out on to a lightly-floured working surface and bring together with your finger tips until well bound.
8. Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap or wax paper.
9. Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes allowing it to rest and chill before using.
10. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a rectangle with length thrice as its width.
11. With blunt side of a knife, mark the pastry into 3 equal parts.
12. Fold one part over the center portion and then the other side on top.
13. Turn the pastry a quarter, clockwise, so that folded edges are on top and bottom.
14. Repeat the rolling, folding and turning 4 more times, resting the pastry for 15 minutes in the refrigerator between each rolling, if it gets too soft.
15. Wrap the laminated pastry in a damp and clean kitchen towel and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
16. Use the dough to make crisp puff pastry for dessert or cake recipes
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2193 Calories from Fat 1385
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 157 g241.9%
Saturated Fat 55.6 g278.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 182.9 mg61%
Sodium 595.6 mg24.8%
Total Carbohydrates 182 g60.7%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g21.8%
Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 14 g28.5%
Vitamin A 42.5% Vitamin C 3.8%
Calcium 4.7% Iron 4.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet