Korean Sweet Manju Pastry
|Lima bean||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sesame seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Condensed milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (sweetened)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
To make the filling
1. Soak 1 cup of lima beans in cold water overnight (for about 10-12 hours).
2. Pop the beans out of the skins with your fingers.
3. in a heavy bottomed pot place the beans with 1 ¼ cup of water and bring to a boil over medium high heat for 10 minutes.
4. Lower the heat and simmer for about 35-50 minutes until the beans are soft and fluffy.
5. Mash the beans with a wooden spoon until they have the consistency and look of mashed potatoes.
Add ½ cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
6. Keep stirring for about 1-2 minutes with a wooden spoon to thicken the filling so the filling doesn’t burn or stick to the bottom of the pot.
7. Turn the heat off and cool down.
To make dough:
1. Add ¾ cup flour, 1 egg, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to a mixing bowl.
2. Mix it well with a wooden spoon until smooth.
To make 8 manju:
1. Divide the dough and the filling into 8 same-sized balls on a floured cutting board.
2. Flatten out each dough ball by pressing it down with the palm of your hand.
3. Place a filling ball into the center of a flattened dough ball.
4. Wrap the dough around the filling.
5. Seal the edges of the wrapped dough and form into the shape of an egg.
6. To make a chestnut, first make a ball and then gently pinch a point at one end.
7. Leave the other end rounded.
8. Dip the side of egg shaped manju into water first, and then dip into sesame seeds so the seeds stick to side.
9. For chestnut shaped manju, dip the top into water, and then dip the top into seeds.
10. Brush the egg yolk over the sesame seeds on egg shaped manju.
11. For chestnut shaped manju, brush egg yolk below the part where sesame seeds are on so that the color will change into brown when it’s baked.
12. Repeat for each pastry, and place the manju on a cookie pan lined with a baking sheet, with the sealed part of the manju on the bottom.
13. Bake in the oven at 350°F on the middle rack for about 20 minutes
14. If you make chestnut shaped manju, bake them a little longer for a deep, rich color.
15. Serve as a dessert or snack.
This video is a creation of Maangchi. You can visit Maangchi for complete recipes, and more videos.
Calories 185 Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.4%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 49.8 mg16.6%
Sodium 151 mg6.3%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.6%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.9%
Sugars 18.3 g
Protein 5 g10.7%
Vitamin A 2.4% Vitamin C 8%
Calcium 8% Iron 10.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet