Salmon In Puff Pastry
|Puff pastry||1 Pound (500 Gram)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Eggs||3 , hardboiled|
|Single cream||90 Milliliter (6 Tablespoon)|
|Cooked long grain white rice||7 Ounce (200 Gram)|
|Parsley||30 Milliliter, finely chopped (2 Tablespoon)|
|Chopped tarragon||2 Teaspoon|
|Salmon fillets||1 1⁄2 Pound (675 Gram)|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce (3 Tablespoon)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/ Gas 5. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry into a large oval, measuring 35cm/14in in length. Cut into a curved fish shape and place on a lightly greased large baking sheet.
2. Use the trimmings to make narrow strips. Brush one side of each strip with a little beaten egg and secure in place around the rim of the pastry to make a raised edge.
3. Prick the base all over with a fork, then bake for 8-10 minutes until the sides are well risen and the pastry is lightly golden. Leave to cool.
4. Mash the hard-boiled eggs with the cream in a bowl, then stir in the cooked rice. Add the parsley and tarragon and season well. Spoon this mixture on to the prepared pastry.
5. Cut the salmon into 2cm/3/4in chunks. Melt the butter in a pan until it starts to sizzle, then add the salmon. Turn the pieces over in the butter so that they colour but do not cook through.
6. Remove from the heat and arrange the salmon on top of the rice. Stir the lemon juice into the butter in the pan, then spoon the juices over the filling.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry and cut out a rough semi-circle to cover the head portion and a tail shape to cover the tail. Brush both pieces of pastry with a little beaten egg and place on top of the fish, pressing the edges down firmly to secure. Score a criss-cross pattern on the tail.
8. Cut the remaining pastry into small rounds and, starting from the tail end, arrange the rounds in overlapping lines to represent scales. Press the edges to seal. Add a smaller round for the eye. Brush the whole fish shape with the remaining beaten egg.
9. Bake for 10 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 160°C/325°F/Gas 3 and cook for a further 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden all over. Slide on to a serving plate and serve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4566 Calories from Fat 2608
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 291 g447.8%
Saturated Fat 70.9 g354.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1371 mg457%
Sodium 2180.6 mg90.9%
Total Carbohydrates 276 g92%
Dietary Fiber 9.6 g38.4%
Sugars 5.6 g
Protein 205 g410.3%
Vitamin A 117.1% Vitamin C 80.2%
Calcium 51% Iron 159.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet