|Strong white bread flour||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Chilled butter||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Lemon juice||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Chilled water||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
1. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub or cut in 25g/1oz/2 tbsp of the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Place the remaining butter between two sheets of clear film (plastic wrap) and gently beat it out into a 15cm/6in flat square with a rolling pin.
3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Stir the lemon juice into the water and add most of it to the bowl. Mix together with a round-bladed knife, adding a little more water if necessary to make a soft, but not sticky, dough.
4. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 25cm/10in square. The dough may look a little lumpy at this stage, but don't knead it. Place the butter diagonally in the centre of the dough, so that it looks like a diamond. Bring each corner of the dough to the centre of the butter to enclose it completely.
5. Roll out the dough to a 40 x 15cm/ 16 x 6in rectangle, then fold the lower third of the pastry over the centre third, and the top third of the pastry down over that. Seal the edges by pressing down with the rolling pin. Brush off any excess flour with a dry pastry brush, then wrap the pastry in clear film and chill for 30 minutes.
6. Roll out the pastry to the same size again, with the sealed edges at the top and bottom. Fold up and chill as before. Repeat the rolling, folding and chilling process five more times. After this, the pastry is ready to be used.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2449 Calories from Fat 1648
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 188 g288.8%
Saturated Fat 117.1 g585.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 487.7 mg162.6%
Sodium 285.4 mg11.9%
Total Carbohydrates 166 g55.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g22%
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 29 g58.3%
Vitamin A 113.5% Vitamin C 11.5%
Calcium 9% Iron 11.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet