Puff Pastry Dough
|Plain flour||250 Gram, sifted (8 Oz)|
|Chilled unsalted butter||250 Gram (8 Oz)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Cold water||125 Milliliter (4 Fl Oz)|
1. Put the flour and salt in a bowl and rub in 25 g (1 oz) of the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the lemon juice and cold water. Gradually work together to form a soft dough.
2. Put the remaining butter between 2 sheets of clingfilm. Use a rolling pin to roll the butter out to form a 15 cm (6 inch) square.
3. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 30 cm (12 inch) square. Put the butter diagonally in the centre of the dough, forming a diamond. Fold the exposed dough over the butter, pressing the seams down to completely enclose the butter. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 20 minutes.
4. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a 20 x 40 cm (8 x 16 inch) rectangle. Fold the top third down towards the centre of the dough and the bottom third up over the top. Press the edges down with the rolling pin to seal. Wrap and chill for 15 minutes.
5. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and turn it through 90 degrees so that the narrow end is towards you. Roll, fold and chill for a further 15 minutes. Repeat the turning, rolling and folding process a further 3 times. Use the pastry as required.