Short Cut Puff Pastry
|Butter||4 Ounce (115 Gram, 1/2 Cup)|
|White vegetable fat/Lard||4 Ounce (115 Gram, 1/2 Cup)|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce (All Purpose Flour - 2 Cups, 225 Gram)|
|Lemon juice||10 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon)|
|Water||1⁄4 Pint, chilled (150 Milliliter, 2/3 Cup)|
1. Dice the butter and fat. Spread out on a plate and freeze for 10 minutes.
2. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the diced fat and stir to coat in flour. Make a well in the centre. Stir the lemon juice into the water and add to the dry ingredients. Mix together with a round-bladed knife to make a dough.
3. Put the dough on to a pastry board or work surface, along with any loose flour left in the bowl. Gently shape to a block, then roll out the pastry to a 35 x 20cm/14 x 8in rectangle.
4. Fold the lower third of the pastry over the centre third, then fold the top third over that. Press the edges firmly with the rolling pin to seal. Wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 10 minutes.
5. Roll out the pastry to the same size again, with the sealed edges at the top and bottom. Fold up and chill as before. Repeat the rolling, folding and chilling process three more times. Wrap in clear film. Chill for at least 3 hours, but preferably overnight, before using.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2648 Calories from Fat 1838
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 209 g320.9%
Saturated Fat 87.5 g437.3%
Trans Fat 14.9 g
Cholesterol 243.8 mg81.3%
Sodium 272.9 mg11.4%
Total Carbohydrates 183 g60.9%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g21.9%
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 14 g29%
Vitamin A 56.7% Vitamin C 7.7%
Calcium 5.2% Iron 5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet