|Strong white bread flour||8 Ounce (225 Grams Or 2 Cups)|
|Chilled butter||6 Ounce (175 Grams Or 3/4 Cup)|
|Chilled water||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter Or 2/3 Cup)|
1. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub or cut in 40g/1 1/2oz/3 tbsp of the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Pour over 120ml/ 4fl oz/1/2 cup of the water and, using a round-bladed knife, mix to a soft dough, adding more water if needed.
2. Put on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 15 minutes.
3. Roll the dough out to a 30 x 10cm/ 12 x 4in rectangle. Cut another 40g/ 1 1/2oz/3 tbsp of the remaining butter into small pieces and dot them evenly all over the top two-thirds of the pastry, leaving a 1cm/1/2in margin at the edge.
4. Fold the lower third of the pastry up and over the centre third, and the buttered third down over that. Press the edges together to seal. Wrap in clear film and chill for 10 minutes.
5. Repeat the rolling out and folding process (without adding any more of the butter) once more. Roll out two more times, with the folded edges at the sides, using 40g/1 1/2oz/3 tbsp of the butter each time. Roll out and fold once again (without adding any fat). Chill for at least 1 hour before using.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2038 Calories from Fat 1244
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 142 g218%
Saturated Fat 87.9 g439.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 365.8 mg121.9%
Sodium 279.1 mg11.6%
Total Carbohydrates 165 g54.9%
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g21.8%
Sugars 0.8 g
Protein 29 g57.2%
Vitamin A 85.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 7.5% Iron 11.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet