Basic Flaky Pastry Shells
|Flour||200 Gram (1 1/2 cups)|
|Butter||200 Gram (2/3 cup)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
1. Sift together flour and salt, add 1/3 butter. Mix with your fingers.
2. Add enough water to hold ingredients together. Knead to a smooth dough. Wrap in waxed paper. Chill for 25 minutes.
3. Roll on a lightly floured board to 1/4" thickness.
4. Spread with 1/3 remaining butter, fold to make 3 layers (like folding a letter), turn and place it vertically. Roll again to 1/4" thickness and oblong. Repeat 2 more times rolling spreading with butter and folding.
5. Wrap in waxed paper. Chill for 1/2hour.
6. Roll to 1/4" thickness and oblong on a lightly floured board.
7. Cut in rounds about 1 1/2 ". Should be 1/2" wider than the diameter of tart moulds.
8. Fit each round over inverted tart mould, trim edges. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork.
9. Bake in a very hot oven 230Â°C-450Â°F-gas mark-8 for 10-15 minutes.
10. Fill it according to the direction of the recipe.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2162 Calories from Fat 1442
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 164 g252.6%
Saturated Fat 103 g515.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 430 mg143.3%
Sodium 1963.9 mg81.8%
Total Carbohydrates 153 g50.9%
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g21.6%
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 22 g44.7%
Vitamin A 100% Vitamin C
Calcium 7.9% Iron 51.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet