Flaky Tender Pastry
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Shortening||14 Tablespoon (3/4 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons, At Room Temperature, Except Butter, Margarine, Or Salad Oil)|
|Cold water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. Measure flour, salt, into sifter set in bowl; sift.
2. Cut two thirds of shortening into flour with pastry blender or 2 knives until like corn meal€”for tenderness. Cut in remainder until like large peas€”for flakiness. (Or cut in all at once until like coarse meal.)
3. Sprinkle water, 1 tablesp. at a time, over different parts of mixture, while tossing quickly with fork, until all particles stick together when pressed gently and form a dough that clings to fork around bowl.
4. Use only enough water to make flour particles cling together€”they should not be wet or slippery. Amount may vary with flour.
5. Form pastry into smooth ball between cupped hands. Roll out at once. Or if it is a very warm day, wrap pastry in waxed paper or foil; refrigerate up to 1/2 hr.; then roll.