Penne, singular penna, is Italian pasta having an elongated and cylindrical pipe like structure. The name penne has been derived from the Latin word “penna” which means quill or feather. Though being an Italian product, penne is also popular in US, where it is commonly known as penne pasta, as against only penne in Italy. Penne is popularly served with basil pesto sauce in Italy. Penne is a primary ingredient of many pasta salads. It is popularly combined with sirloin, black beans, artichokes, and several types of meats and vegetables to prepare scrumptious pasta based dishes.
Types of Penne
The Italian penne pasta or noodles is produced in two types, viz.:
· Penne lisce- it is a smooth cylindrical shaped pasta.
· Penne rigate- it is a kind of furrowed pasta with ridges on the ends and surface.
Apart from the above two popular types of pasta, a wider variant of penne pasta is also available, which is known as pennoni or big quills.
Penne can be prepared with flour, eggs, and a pinch of salt. Eggs and flour are worked together to form a smooth, firm, and elastic dough, which is then rolled out, shaped in the form of tube, cut into slices, and then boiled in salted water.
- Penne pasta is popularly served with pesto, which is a blend of basil, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil.
- It is also served with marinara, a tomato based sauce popular in Italy. It is a combination of tomatoes, herbs, garlic, and onions.
Popular Penne Noodles Recipe
- Penne pasta- penne noodles or pasta can be served as a one dish meal. It can be combined with meat and vegetables, and served as a wholesome meal. The simplest penne noodles recipe suggests combining penne with tomatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil, parmesan cheese, and parsley. Flavor can be enhanced by adding salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Meat like chicken and bacon can also be included to make the dish more filling and flavorsome. Vegetables like carrots and cabbage can also be included.
- Penne salads- a few popular pasta salads making use of penne as a vital ingredient consist of lemon pasta salad, tuna pasta salad, and creamy garlic pasta salad.
- Penne seafood- penne pasta with red sauce and salmon, and penne with asparagus, shrimp, and sun dried tomatoes are a couple of popular penne seafood dishes.
- Penne meat- a few popular meat dishes which include penne pasta as an essential ingredient include penne with sausage in pumpkin sauce, penne with chicken and spinach, and penne pasta with bacon and spinach.
118 grams of cooked penne pasta provides around 200 calories, obtained from 2.11 g of fat, 88.5 g of carbohydrates, 14.75 g of protein, and 3.79 mg of iron.