Parsi Sev ( Sweet Vermicelli ).
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vanilla essence||1 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg cardamom powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Charoli/Sliced almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Break the vermicelli into one and a half inch pieces.
2. Place 2 cups ghee in a flat bottomed, wide mouthed vessel and slowly fry the vermicelli till golden brown. If you cook it over a fast flame it will burn up. Do not stir it constantly or the vermicelli will break up into tiny pieces. Remove from the fire.
3. Drain the ghee.
4. Mix the sugar in 2-3 cups of water as per taste.
5. Place the vessel with the vermicelli on the fire and add a little sugar water at a time, stir gently and cook till soft.
This sounds easy but it is difficult and you may not get it right the first time. You may get the sev very pulpy in your first attempt. The trick is immense patience.
Add the sugar water a little at a time and cover the vessel and cook. Mix in vanilla and the spice powder and cook till soft.
6. Place in a pretty dish and top with fried raisins, charoli or almond slices. Ideal for breakfast or tea.