Sausage and Mushroom Pasta Pie
|Paccheri pasta/Rigatoni||14 Ounce|
|Mushrooms/Champignon mushrooms||400 Gram|
|Ricotta cheese||350 Gram|
|Leeks||1 Medium, chopped finely|
|Thyme sprigs||3 Small|
|White wine||100 Milliliter|
|Parmesan cheese||100 Gram, grated|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|For the b chamel sauce|
|Nutmeg powder||1 Pinch|
1. Begin with by cleaning the leeks once done cut into thin rings and in a large pan sauté extra virgin olive oil and garlic on a very low flame for 15-20 minutes until soft.
2. Add the crumbled sausage. Let it brown for 10 minutes on a medium flame.
3. After browning the sausage, pour in the white wine and let it evaporate; meanwhile cook the pasta for half of the cooking time, until very firm to the bite.
4. Once the wine has evaporated add the finely chopped mushrooms and cook for at least 10 minutes on a high flame, then add salt and pepper. The mushrooms should be cut into small pieces since we'll be using a pastry bag to pipe the mixture.
5. To prepare the béchamel sauce, melt the butter, sift in the flour and, when the flour turns light brown, pour in the milk, then add a pinch of salt and a pinch of nutmeg; the béchamel sauce is done, it should be not too thin not too thick, in the meantime drain the pasta and drizzle a little oil to keep it from sticking to itself, because it will be placed upright in the pan.
6. To the sausage and mushroom mixture, after it has dried out and cooled a bit, add a few thyme leaves.
7. For the filling, take a bowl, large enough to hold the ricotta cheese. Add the cooled sausage and mushroom mixture and grated parmesan cheese; mix everything until creamy.
8. Now take a baking pan or oven dish, about 8 ½ inches (22 cm) in diameter, use half of the béchamel sauce to coat the bottom, and stand the pasta tubes upright, in concentric circles, starting from the edge, until the pan is full.
9. Place the filling mixture in a pastry bag cut a large hole in the corner so it can be piped easily, and now fills each pasta tube. Once done cover the pasta with the remaining béchamel sauce; if it gets too thick you can thin it out with one or two tablespoons of cold milk.
10. After adding the béchamel sauce, sprinkle with the remaining grated parmesan cheese and finish with a few thyme leaves.
11. Bake at 350°F (180°) for 30 minutes and during the last 5 minutes of baking raise the temperature, to get an even better golden brown color on top.
12. Serve the Sausage and mushroom pasta pie hot.
if you want to make elegant individual servings, then place 6 or 7 paccheri in an oven-proof dish and tie them up with a blanched leek leaf.
Calories 743 Calories from Fat 345
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g58.9%
Saturated Fat 14.4 g71.8%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 81.6 mg27.2%
Sodium 726.4 mg30.3%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.4%
Sugars 7.5 g
Protein 31 g62.5%
Vitamin A 26% Vitamin C 15.3%
Calcium 39.7% Iron 20.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet