Pico De Gallo Pasta With Seared Scallops
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (For the sauce)|
|Ripe tomatoes||4 , seeded and diced, divided (Vine-ripened tomatoes used)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Shallots||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), diced|
|Red chili||1 , diced|
|Lime juice||1 Tablespoon (juice of 1 lime)|
|Fresh cilantro||1⁄4 Bunch (25 gm), chopped (A handful for the sauce and the rest for the pasta seasoning)|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste (For seasoning the sauce)|
|Heavy cream||250 Milliliter|
|Pasta||500 Gram, cooked (Fetticini or Linguini)|
|Oil||2 Tablespoon (For the scallops)|
|Black pepper||To Taste (For seasoning the pasta)|
1. Take a deep skillet with some oil on medium heat, add minced garlic and cook it until fragrant.
2. Add diced shallots and continue to cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the seeded and diced vine-ripened tomatoes (Save some for later). Continue to cook and stir until the tomatoes start to break down.
3. Once the tomatoes break down and start to look like a sauce add red chili, juice of 1 lime and a handful of chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. You can at this point use the prepared mixture as the sauce or you can continue by adding cream. Add 250 ml of heavy cream. Turn up the heat to a steady simmer and reduce by about 50% by stirring frequently.
4. When the sauce is reduced by 50% add the remaining diced tomatoes for color and texture.
5. In a large mixing bowl put in the freshly cooked pasta. Save some of the pasta cooked water as the starch in the water will help the sauce adhere to the noodles. Add the prepared sauce to the noodles and toss lightly until combined.
6. Finish by adding fresh cilantro leaves and freshly ground black pepper.
7. In a hot skillet with a couple of tablespoons of oil add the scallops in small batches. Do not add too many at once. After a while the scallops would turn opaque and the bottom will start to form a brown crust. This is when the scallop is ready to be flipped. Gently lift the scallop from the pan and turn them over.
8. Once flipped add a dollop of butter to the pan and use a spoon to baste them until they are done. This would just take a couple of minutes.
9. When they are done take them out of the pan and set them aside.
10. Serve the scallops on top of the pasta. Serve warm garnished with some fresh cilantro leaves.
Never strain or rinse cooked pasta.
Always buy fresh (dry packed) scallops. Do not buy scallops with STP (Sodium Tripolyphosphate).