Penne alla Norma
|Eggplant||1 Large, cut into 3/4 -inch chunks|
|Plum tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks|
|Torn basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Fresh Ones, Plus More For Garnish)|
|Penne||1 Pound (Or Your Favorite Pasta)|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, halved and thinly sliced|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), thinly sliced|
|Crushed red pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Eggplant||1 Large, cut into 0.75 inch chunks|
|Plum tomatoes||1 1⁄2 , cored and cut into 0.50 inch chunks|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Plus More For Garnish)|
|Ricotta cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to package instructions. 2. Drain pasta; return to pot.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
4. Add onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Add eggplant to skillet; season generously with salt and pepper.
6. Cover, and cook until eggplant begins to release juices, about 5 minutes.
7. Uncover; cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes (if bottom of pan browns too much, add a few tablespoons water, and scrape with spoon).
8. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and 1/4 cup water to skillet; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
9. Toss sauce and basil with pasta; gently reheat if necessary.
10. Top each serving with a spoonful of ricotta, garnish with more basil and serve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2897 Calories from Fat 866
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 97 g148.9%
Saturated Fat 24.1 g120.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 94.1 mg31.4%
Sodium 735.8 mg30.7%
Total Carbohydrates 447 g149%
Dietary Fiber 77.6 g310.3%
Sugars 50.7 g
Protein 98 g195.8%
Vitamin A 354.9% Vitamin C 238%
Calcium 76.6% Iron 102.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet