Zuppa Di Fagioli Con La Pasta
|Dried white haricot beans||1⁄2 Pound|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Smoked ham||1⁄2 Pound, cooked, cut into 1/4-inch cubes|
|Onions||1⁄2 Ounce, finely chopped|
|Celery||1 Ounce, finely chopped|
|Garlic||1⁄2 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Lean salt pork||1⁄4 Pound (in 1 piece)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (generous teaspoon)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Spaghetti||2 Ounce, broken/cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon (as required)|
1. In a medium sized saucepan put 3 pints of water, add the beans and boil them for 2 minutes.
2. Take it off the heat and let it soak for 1 hour.
3. After an hour, drain the beans and save the water.
4. Add fresh cold water, enough to make it about 3 1/4 pints.
5. Chop the ham, onions, celery and garlic together into very small pieces ( this mixture is called a battuto).
6. In a large pan, heat oil and add the battuto and cook for about 10 minutes or until it is lightly coloured, stirring frequently.
7. Now add the beans, water and salt pork and season with salt and pepper.
8. Increase the heat to high and bring it to a boil, lower the heat and simmer covering partially for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender.
9. Skim the fat off the soup and discard the salt pork.
10. Take out half of the beans from the soup with a perforated spoon and puree them through a sieve or food mill and then return to the soup.
11. Cook on low heat, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes.
12. Put in the spaghetti and cook on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until the spaghetti is tender.
13. Season the soup with salt and pepper as per your taste.
14. Pour the soup into a large tureen or soup bowls and serve hot garnished with grated cheese.