Mixed Seafood Pasta
|Fresh mussels||12 Ounce|
|White wine||4 Fluid Ounce|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Thick cod fillets||4 Ounce|
|Canned tomatoes||7 Ounce, chopped (1 Can)|
|Tomato puree||1 Tablespoon|
|Caster sugar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh basil leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Plus Leaves For Garnish)|
|Mixed seafood cocktail||8 Ounce|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a large saucepan, cook the spaghetti with boiling water for 10 minutes until just tender.
2. Using a small, sharp knife, clean the unopened mussels under cold running water. Discard any mussels with cracked or open shells.
3. In a pan, add onions with trimmed ends and add mussels, wine and bay leaf. Cover and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes until the mussel shells open shaking the pan occasionally.
4. Remove the onion from the pan. Chop the onion, dice the celery and crush the garlic. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion, celery and garlic and cook for 3 minutes until beginning to soften.
5. Skin the cod fillet and cut into ¾-inch chunks. Add the pieces of cod, tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar, salt and pepper to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes. Shred the handful of basil leaves, add to the pan with the mixed seafood and simmer for a further 3 minutes.
6. Using a slotted spoon, lift the mussels out of the pan. Discard any unopened mussels. Boil the cooking liquid rapidly until reduced by half. Strain the reduced cooking liquid into the seafood sauce.
7. Drain the spaghetti and toss in the seafood sauce.
8. On to warmed serving plates, pile the seafood spaghetti. Arrange the mussels around the edge and garnish with basil leaves.