Chorizo Garbanzo Stew
|Dried garbanzo beans||1 Pound (2 1/2 Cup)|
|Water||13 Cup (208 tbs)|
|Beef shank crosscuts||1 Pound|
|Smoked pork hocks||1 Pound (Ham Hocks)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Sausage links||1 Pound, sliced (Chorizo / Italian Links)|
|Potatoes||2 Medium, medium, peeled and diced to make 2 cups|
|Bacon slices||4 , crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled|
1. Soak beans in the water overnight in a covered pan; rinse and set aside.
2. In a saucepan combine beans and the water; bring it to boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes; remove from heat.
4. Cover and let it stand for 1 hour; do not drain.
5. Add beef shank crosscuts, smoked pork hocks, chopped onion, salt, and paprika.
6. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or till beans are tender.
7. Remove meats and skim the fat from soup.
8. When meats have cooled slightly, remove meat from bones and discard the bones.
9. Return meat to soup and stir in the sausage pieces and potatoes; bring it to boil.
10. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes longer or till potatoes are tender.
11. Arrange the stew into individual bowl and serve hot with toasted garlic bread.
12. Sprinkle each serving with some crumbled bacon.
Calories 1400 Calories from Fat 620
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 69 g106.8%
Saturated Fat 20.7 g103.4%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 227.1 mg75.7%
Sodium 1946.4 mg81.1%
Total Carbohydrates 98 g32.8%
Dietary Fiber 23.9 g95.6%
Sugars 17.4 g
Protein 98 g195.3%
Vitamin A 29.7% Vitamin C 49.9%
Calcium 16.3% Iron 54.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet