Manicotti Alla Veneziana
|Manicotti noodles||8 Ounce (1 package)|
|Meat loaf mixture||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Fresh bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Basil leaf||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Butter/Margarine||4 Tablespoon (1/2 stick)|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Pound, shredded for 2 cups|
1) Keep the broiler ready.
2) In a pot of boiling water, cook the noodles as per its packet instructions. Drain and transfer into a large bowl of cold water, using a slotted spoon.
3) In a large skillet, add in the meatloaf mixture and shape into a large patty. Cook for 5 minutes on each side till brown. Using a spatula break up the patty into small pieces. Transfer into a medium bowl with a slotted spoon.
4) In a skillet, saute the onions and garlic in the pan drippings until they soften. Add the mixture into the cooked meat.
5) Next, add in the bread crumbs, egg, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Mix well to blend.
6) Meanwhile, prepare the cheddar cheese sauce. In a medium saucepan, melt butter or margarine. Add in the flour, salt and pepper. Stir continously to cook the flour. When the mixture starts to bubble, add in the milk. Cook while stirring till the sauce becomes thick, for about a minute. Add in the cheddar cheese and worcestershire sauce. Mix well till all the cheese has melted.
7) Pick the noodles up from the cold water in batches and drain them thoroughly. Using a long-handled spoon, fill in a little of the mixture into each manicotti.
8) Pour in half the quantity of the cheddar sauce into a shallow, 12-cup heatproof dish.
9) Arrange the stuffed manicotti over the sauce. Pour the remaining cheese sauce on top.
10) Broil for 5 minutes till the cheese turns golden and bubbly. Place the dish 4-inches from the heat source.
11) Serve the Manicotti Alla Veneziana hot, garnished with chopped herbs.