Penne with Eggplant and Pecorino
|Young eggplant||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut in 3/4 inch cubes (680 gram, firm)|
|Olive oil||250 Milliliter (1 cup)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Canned peeled italian tomatoes||415 Milliliter, strained and pulped (1 2/3 cups)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Penne/3/4 pound dried penne||1 Pound (450 gram, fresh)|
|Chopped fresh basil/30 milliliter fresh parsley||15 Milliliter (1 tablespoon)|
|Grated pecorino cheese||125 Milliliter (1/2 cup)|
1) In a large colander, sprinkle the eggplant with the salt and keep aside for minimum 30 minutes.
2) In a large frying pan, fry the eggplant in batches, in the oil, adding more oil, if required, until brown. Remove from pan and keep aside.
3) Saute the garlic lightly for 30 seconds. Stir in the green pepper and saute for another 1 minute.
4) Stir in the tomatoes, season with the salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 10 minutes.
5) Stir in the eggplant and basil, simmer for another 2 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and keep warm.
6) In a pan, cook penne in the boiling salted water, until tender. Drain thoroughly and stir into sauce with the grated pecorino cheese.
7) Serve the Penne with Eggplant and Pecorino, immediately on individual serving plates.
Calories 1069 Calories from Fat 620
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 69 g106.6%
Saturated Fat 11.5 g57.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 11 mg3.7%
Sodium 586.4 mg24.4%
Total Carbohydrates 99 g33%
Dietary Fiber 16.2 g64.9%
Sugars 8.5 g
Protein 21 g41.1%
Vitamin A 70.8% Vitamin C 55.8%
Calcium 26.8% Iron 24.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet