Composed Salad of Sausage and Orzo with Fresh Peas and Mixed Greens
|Pine nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Orzo||12 Ounce (2 Cups)|
|Fresh green peas||2 Cup (32 tbs), shelled (About 2 Pounds In The Pod)|
|Sweet italian sausages||2 Pound (12 Sausages)|
|Garlic clove||1 Large, minced|
|Dry red wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dijon mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||6 1⁄2 Tablespoon (1/3 Cup Plus 1 1/2 Tablespoons)|
|Mache||1⁄2 Pound (Lamb's Lettuce, 4 Bunches)|
|Belgian endives||2 , cut into thin strips|
|Radicchio leaves||8 Small, torn into pieces|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°.
2) In a small baking sheet, scatter the pine nuts to toast in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
3) Use a large saucepan of salted water to place over high heat and bring the water to a boil.
4) Add the orzo and cook until the pasta is tender but still firm, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water; drain well.
5) Steam the peas over boiling water for about 6 minutes or until just tender. Rinse under cold running water; drain well.
6) With a fork, prick all over the sausages.
7) In a large skillet, cook the sausages over moderately high heat, turning for about 10 minutes or until browned.
8) Discard the fat and add the garlic and wine to the skillet.
9) Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
10) Remove the sausages. Degrease the juices in the pan and set aside.
11) In a large bowl, combine the orzo, peas, pine nuts and scallions.
12) In a small bowl, add vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper to whisk.
13) Slowly pour in 1/3 cup of the olive oil and the reserved pan juices to whisk in until well blended.
14) Drizzle the mixture over orzo and coat evenly.
15) In a large bowl, toss together the mache, Belgian endives and radicchio.
16) Drizzle the lemon juice and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil over the salad.
17) Season the salad with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and toss.
18) In each serving plate, arrange a part of greens and top with a portion of the orzo mixture. Place 2 sausages, sliced if you like, over the top of the salads.