Penne with Grilled Vegetables and Herbed Ricotta
|Extra-virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon (2 Tablespoons Plus 1 Tablespoon)|
|Purple eggplant||1 , sliced into 1/3-inch-thick rounds|
|Zucchinis||2 Medium, sliced lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick pieces|
|Asparagus||1⁄2 Pound, tough part of stems snapped off|
|Red bell pepper||1 , roasted and sliced into strips|
|Yellow bell pepper||1 , roasted and sliced into strips|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Canned whole tomatoes||28 Ounce, drained and roughly chopped|
|Snipped fresh basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh thyme||2 Teaspoon|
|Part skim ricotta||12 Ounce|
|Part skim mozzarella||4 Ounce, grated|
1. Heat the oven to 400Â°F.
2. Light a charcoal fire or heat the broiler.
3. Bringing a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil cook the pasta until it is almost tender, drain it running under cold water until it is cool and set aside.
4. With 2 tablespoons of olive oil brush the eggplant, zucchinis, and asparagus and grill or broil the vegetables until they are tender, approximately 4 minutes on each side.
5. Combine the vegetables with the roasted peppers and set them aside.
6. In a Dutch oven Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and saute garlic, until it is soft.
7. Add the tomatoes, reduce the heat, simmer stirring them often, for 15 minutes and add the basil, oregano and thyme.
8. Remove the pot from the heat, add the pasta, grilled vegetables and ricotta, season the dish with the salt and pepper and transfer to a casserole.
9. Over the top of the casserole sprinkle the mozzarella evenly and bake until the cheese has melted and the pasta is heated through, approximately 15 minutes.
10. Serve hot with garnish as desired.