Anchovy and Vegetable Pasta Puttanesca
|Pasta||1 Pound (Spaghetti, Penne, Fusilli, Bucatini Etc.)|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), finely chopped|
|Canned flat anchovies/3 tablespoon anchovy paste||1 Can (10 oz), drain the oil off of them and chop them rough|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Or More)|
|Chopped black olives||1 Can (10 oz) (Oil Cured / Kalamata)|
|Capers||3 Tablespoon, drained, rinsed|
|Olive oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Fresh basil leaves/1 tablespoon dried basil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), roughly chopped|
|Basil chiffonade/Flat leaf parsley||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (To Add As Topping To Pasta Before Serving)|
|Canned plum tomatoes/Domestic / san marzano tomatoes.||28 Ounce, crushed (1 Can)|
|Grated parmigiano reggiano/Grana padano / any italian grated cheese as preferred topping if wanted||2 Tablespoon|
1. Heat up your large skillet (12 inch if you have one) on medium heat.
2. Add olive oil, garlic, anchovies, and red pepper flakes and saute until anchovies melt into oil and garlic softens.
3. When anchovies melt and garlic softens add olives, capers, tomatoes, black pepper, salt, basil and bring to bubblling and then simmer to desired thickness. Some people like their puttanesca on the thin side and some like it a bit more on the thick side.
4. Add 1-2 Tsp. of sugar to taste(optional)to help cut the acid of the tomatoes and red pepper flakes.
5. While your sauce is simmering put your pasta into well salted water and cook until Al Dente and then either toss the pasta with the sauce and serve or plate some pasta and top with the sauce, basil and cheese.
Hope you enjoy!
Calories 882 Calories from Fat 340
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60.3%
Saturated Fat 4 g20.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 45 mg15%
Sodium 3855.8 mg160.7%
Total Carbohydrates 100 g33.2%
Dietary Fiber 6.9 g27.5%
Sugars 9.5 g
Protein 31 g62.5%
Vitamin A 79% Vitamin C 72%
Calcium 32.4% Iron 31%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet