|Hot italian sausages||1 Pound, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Fennel bulb||1 , trimmed, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch-wide julienne strips|
|Marinara sauce||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, coarsely ground|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Penne pasta||1 Pound, dried|
|Pitted kalamata olives||1 Cup (16 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Basil leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs), slivered|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Tablespoon, freshly grated (For Serving)|
1) In a large non-stick skillet, heated over medium heat, brown the sausage pieces for 30 minutes until they are cooked well, stirring occasionally.
2) Using a slotted spoon, take off the sausages and drain them on paper towels.
3) Remove the excess fat and then wipe the skillet clean.
4) In the same skillet, over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and sauté fennel for 15 minutes in it.
5) Place the sausage back to the pan and stir in marinara sauce, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and then uncover and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes.
6) Allow a large pot of salted water to come to a boil.
7) Add in the remaining tablespoon of oil and the penne and cook until the penne are just soft.
8) Drain the pasta well and then place it back to the pot.
9) Mix olives and basil with the sauce and add it to the pasta after the sauce is cooked well.
10) Serve the pasta at once with the Parmesan after tossing it well with the sauce.
Calories 1035 Calories from Fat 422
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g72.1%
Saturated Fat 8.3 g41.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 33.2 mg11.1%
Sodium 1219.2 mg50.8%
Total Carbohydrates 107 g35.8%
Dietary Fiber 9.1 g36.4%
Sugars 9.3 g
Protein 37 g73.2%
Vitamin A 9.2% Vitamin C 15.2%
Calcium 8.7% Iron 16.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet