Cheese And Vegetable Manicotti
|Olive oil/Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Zucchini||2 , diced|
|Eggplant||1 Small, diced|
|Chopped mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh basil/2 teaspoons dried||2 Tablespoon|
|Part skim ricotta cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Canned low sodium tomato sauce||29 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Frozen chopped spinach||10 Ounce, thawed and drained (Thawed And Drained)|
|Shredded part skim mozzarella cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Lightly grease a 13-inch x 9-inch x 2-inch baking dish
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat.
4. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until just soft and translucent.
Add zucchini and eggplant and sauté another 5 minutes.
5. Finally add the mushrooms and sauté with other vegetables for 3 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender-crisp.
Take skillet off the heat and stir in the basil, salt, and pepper.
6. Tip the vegetable mixture into a large mixing bowl and cool slightly.
7. Add the ricotta cheese and mix well.
8. Spoon this filling into a pastry or piping bag
Pipe the filling into each manicotti until well stuffed.
9. On the base of the baking dish, spoon one-third of the tomato sauce
Arrange half of the stuffed manicotti in the baking dish and coat them with half of the remaining sauce.
10. Layer remaining stuffed manicotti and pour over remaining sauce.
Top with spinach and sprinkle with the mozzarella.
11. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil.
12. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until the manicotti are fork-tender, sauce is bubbling and cheese has melted and lightly browned.
13. Serve from the baking dish, straight out of the oven.