Baked Orzo With Tomatoes And Sausage
|Cooked orzo pasta||1 Pound|
|Sweet sausage links||4|
|Celery ribs||2 , small dice|
|Onion||1 Medium, small dice|
|San marzano plum tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 can)|
|Roma tomatoes||8 , roast|
|Fresh mozzarella||2 Cup (32 tbs), cubed (Leave 3 slices of Mozzarella cut into strips for garnish on top of the casserole)|
|Fresh basil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded|
|Parmigiano reggiano cheese||To Taste|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Cayenne pepper||To Taste|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Begin by browning the sausage and breaking it up in small pieces, and set the sausage aside.
2) Cut the fresh Roma tomatoes in half and place them on a baking sheet. Then drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
3) Roast until brown and caramelized about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Then set the tomatoes aside.
4) In a saute pan heat olive oil. Then sweat the onions and celery together until soft. Season with salt and pepper and add flour to coat the vegetables.
5) Add the San Marzano tomatoes, break the tomatoes up with a spoon but leave the tomatoes chunky. Then add the chicken stock, and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
6) In a bowl combine the cooked orzo, sausage and the cooked San Marzano tomatoes and taste for seasoning.
7) Add the cayenne pepper, basil, the roasted tomatoes, the cubed mozzarella, the grated cheese to taste.
8) Correct the seasoning for salt and pepper. Place in a medium oiled casserole dish and evenly distribute the mixture.
9) Place slices of mozzarella diagonally on the top and Bake 20 min at 350 degrees
10) Serve warm with a glass of wine and emjoy!