Baked Orzo with Tomatoes and Sausage is a simple and easy dish for entertaining as long as it’s assembled in advance and can be baked off just before your guests arrive. Try out this amazing Italian main dish with the sausages, tomatoes, celery, fresh basil, onions, fresh mozzarella and Parmigiano Reggiano. Enjoy!!
Cooked orzo pasta
Sweet sausage links
2 , small dice
1 Medium, small dice
San marzano plum tomatoes
28 Ounce (1 can)
8 , roast
2 Cup (32 tbs), cubed (Leave 3 slices of Mozzarella cut into strips for garnish on top of the casserole)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded
Parmigiano reggiano cheese
Salt and pepper
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1) Begin by browning the sausage and breaking it up in small pieces, and set the sausage aside.
2) Cut the fresh Roma tomatoes in half and place them on a baking sheet. Then drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
3) Roast until brown and caramelized about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Then set the tomatoes aside.
4) In a saute pan heat olive oil. Then sweat the onions and celery together until soft. Season with salt and pepper and add flour to coat the vegetables.
5) Add the San Marzano tomatoes, break the tomatoes up with a spoon but leave the tomatoes chunky. Then add the chicken stock, and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
6) In a bowl combine the cooked orzo, sausage and the cooked San Marzano tomatoes and taste for seasoning.
7) Add the cayenne pepper, basil, the roasted tomatoes, the cubed mozzarella, the grated cheese to taste.
8) Correct the seasoning for salt and pepper. Place in a medium oiled casserole dish and evenly distribute the mixture.
9) Place slices of mozzarella diagonally on the top and Bake 20 min at 350 degrees
10) Serve warm with a glass of wine and emjoy!