Spinach Cannelloni is an amazing Italian main dish with the spinach and cheese stuffed in tubular pasta or cannelloni covered with oodles of cheeses as ricotta, Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano. Well made cannelloni cannot be achieved without some effort, but the results are always superb.
1 Cup (16 tbs)
Extra virgin olive oil
1 Cup (16 tbs)
4 Ounce (1 stick)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)
Salt and pepper
Ingredients for filling:
19 Ounce (approx 2 boxed of spinach Defrosted,drained and squezzed dry)
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano)
Dried porcini mushroom
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), reconstituted
Method for crepspelle:
1)In a large bowl place flour whisk to free of any lumps, Add the eggs and the yolk and whisk to a paste.
2) Slowly add the milk while whisking continuously for a smooth batter. Then set aside for 1 hour.
3) Butter a 7 inch crepe pan and heat the pan and ladle 3 Tablespoons of batter into the pan and swirling the batter over the surface of the pan. Cook on one side then flip and cook on the other side.
4) Layer the crepes between wax paper and set aside. The crepes may be made the night before. Bring to room temperature before filling.
Method for balsamella:
5) Melt 1 stick of butter in a heavy bottomed pot. Add flour and whisk to a paste, cook for 1 minute.
6)Add hot milk and whisk until smooth and add seasonings.
Method for the filling:
7) Saute shallots in extra virgin olive oil until golden.
8) Add chopped porcini mushrooms, add the spinach and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
9) Season with salt and pepper and add to the mixing bowl. Mix in the ricotta, cheese and season to taste.
10) Ladle a small amount of the balsamella and mix thoroughly.
11) Now you’re ready to fill the crepes. Lay out your crepe on a piece of wax paper. Ladle some balsamella in a casserole dish.
11) Take a heaping tablespoons of the filling and place In the middle of the crepe. Roll the crepe away from you.
12) Place the seam side down into your casserole dish. Continue filling the remaining crepes and top with balsamell and grated cheese.
13)Then place into a 350 degree oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
14)Serve warm and enjoy!
You can make the batter for the crepspelle several days in advance.