Aarsi's Ultimate Pasta With Spinach And Mushroom (Part 1)
|For the sauce|
|Salted butter/Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Heavy whipping cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|2 percent milk/Whole milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Paprika powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For the vegetables|
|Olive oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Medium, diced|
|Frozen spinach||1 Cup (16 tbs), thawed at room temperature|
|Kosher salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Crimini mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Pine nuts||1 Tablespoon (A handful)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the pasta|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (As required to boil the pasta)|
|Kosher salt||1 Teaspoon (Boiled in salt water)|
|Olive oil||2 Drop (Added to the boiling salted water)|
|Penne pasta||1⁄2 Pound|
To prepare the sauce for the pasta:
1. Heat up a pan on medium heat with the butter.
2. Once the butter melts, add the all purpose flour, stir constantly and cook it for a couple of minutes to make a roux.
3. Add 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and stir.
4. Add one cup of the 2% milk. Keep stirring and bring it to a boil. Boil for about 10 minutes until thick.
5. Add 1/2 tsp each of kosher salt to the prepared sauce, paprika powder and black pepper. Stir to combine all the ingredients well. Turn off the heat and set the sauce aside.
To saute the vegetables:
6. Heat up a pan on medium high with olive oil, add the red onions with 1/2 tsp of kosher salt, stir and cook them for a couple of minutes.
7. Add the spinach, 1/2 tsp of kosher salt, stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
8. Add the mushrooms, stir and cook until slightly tender.
9. Add the prepared white sauce to the vegetables, stir and combine all the ingredients together.
10. Add the pine nuts and the Parmesan cheese. Stir gently to combine, cover and bring the mixture to a boil.
11. Once the mixture starts bubbling, turn off the heat and set the prepared sauce and vegetable mixture aside.
To prepare the pasta:
12. In a pot of boiling water with salt, add the penne pasta and cook until al dente (takes about 15 minutes).
13. Save about 1 1/2 ladle pasta water, turn off the heat and strain the pasta over a colander.
14. Warm the prepared pasta sauce over a low heat, adding a little of the reserved pasta water (quantity added depends on the desired consistency of the sauce), stir slightly.
15. Add in the cooked pasta and gently mix to coat the pasta well with the sauce.
16. Serve warm.