Stuffed Tufoli or Manicotti
|Melted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 , chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), chopped|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, chopped|
|Chopped lean beef||1 1⁄2 Pound (May Be Part Veal)|
|Mozzarella cheese/Swiss cheese||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Soft bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Basic tomato sauce/Canned tomato sauce||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Cook the pasta in a large quantity of rapidly boiling salted water until half done, about twelve minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Return it to the pot and toss with a small amount of melted butter to prevent it from sticking together.
2. Preheat oven to moderate (350° F.).
3. Brown the onions and garlic lightly in the oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until wilted. Using the hands, blend the onion mixture with the beef, cheese, crumbs, egg, salt, oregano and pepper. Using a teaspoon, stuff the tufoli or manicotti with the mixture.
4. Cover the bottoms of two eight-cup, shallow rectangular casseroles with a thin layer of tomato sauce and arrange a layer of the stuffed pasta on top. Cover lightly with more sauce and sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese. If necessary, repeat the layers.
5. Bake about thirty minutes.