For this easy-to-make, light pasta recipe, Viviane has created a spunky arugula pesto and serves it with warm cherry tomatoes. It’s as delicious as it looks!
For the arugula pesto
4 Ounce, rinsed
1 Clove (5 gm), peeled
1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), blanched
Pecorino romano cheese
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated
Ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
For the cherry tomatoes
1⁄2 Medium, julienned
2 Clove (10 gm), mince
8 Ounce, halved
1⁄2 Bunch (50 gm), snipped
Extra virgin olive oil
For the pasta
1 Tablespoon (Boiled in salt water)
FOR THE ARUGULA PESTO
1. Rinse the arugula in cold water, and spun them dry.
2. In the food processor, combine arugula, garlic, sliced almonds, pecorino romano cheese, sea salt, ground black pepper and finally the extra virgin olive oil.
3. Process until it is becomes creamy in texture for about 2-3 minutes, scrape the sides every one minute, remove the blade and transfer the sauce in a bowl.
4. Cover with plastic wrap; make sure the plastic is in contact with the sauce and refrigerate until needed.
FOR THE GEMELLI AND CHERRY TOMATOES
1. Peel the lemon zest from the lemon and slice the lemon zest into julienne.
2. Peel the garlic and mince it, cut the cherry tomatoes in half and snip the chives to 1/4” pieces using kitchen scissors, set everything aside in separate bowls.
3. Boil water in a large pot along with salt, add the gemelli pasta, stir and cook it for 10 minutes and after 10 minutes check every 30 seconds if the pasta is cooked al dente.
4. In the meantime preheat a heavy bottom skillet, pour extra virgin olive oil and sauté the lemon zest for 1-2 minutes or until crispy and brown.
5. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, add cherry tomatoes, season with sea salt, black pepper and chives, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
7. Drain the pasta once they are al dente and transfer in another bowl, add the arugula pesto and mix gently and coat all the pasta with the sauce.
8. Once done place the pasta in a serving plate and place a spoonful of the tomatoes on top, sprinkle black pepper and drizzle extra olive oil.
9. Serve the gemelli pasta with arugula pesto sauce along with a glass of fine wine.
Cut the pasta in the center and check for the fine white line, it is present then the pasta is not al dente, and you need to cook further.
Things You Will Need
heavy bottom skillet