Cannelloni Alla Napoletana
|Pasta dough||2 Cup (32 tbs) (2 recipes basic)|
|Ripe firm tomatoes||2 Kilogram (large size)|
|Cheese||225 Gram, diced|
|Grated cheese||100 Gram (1 cup)|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Olive oil||150 Milliliter (2/3 cup)|
|Finely chopped basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||3 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Pepper powder||1⁄3 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Anchovy fillets||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Prepare the dough as instructed. Divide the dough into 2 parts. Roll out each part of dough on a floured board into a 1/4" thick sheet. Leave it to dry for 20-30 minutes. Do not allow to become too brittle.
2. Cut the pasta into 3" x 3" squares.
3. Boil water in a large saucepan with 2 teaspoons salt, cook the squares batch by batch until tender but firm. Drain and cool on a damp cloth. Each square should be separated from each other.
4. Blanch and chop tomatoes.
5. Heat oil in a pan, fry onion and garlic lightly; add tomatoes; and 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and simmer for 20-'25 minutes.
6. Rub half the tomatoes through a sieve and flavour with basil.
7. Place pasta squares on a board batch by batch. Place 1 tablespoon unsieved tomatoes on each square.
8. Place few cheese cubes, anchovy on each square, sprinkle with grated cheese and roll each square like a pancake covering the filling.
9. Place the rolls in one layer in a greased shallow baking dish. Cover with sieved tomatoes, sprinkle remaining grated cheese on top.
10. Bake in a moderate oven 1 90Â°C-375Â°F-gas mark-4 for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Vegetarian Cannelloni Alia Napoletana
Simply omit anchovy fillets and follow the recipe as directed above.
Calories 549 Calories from Fat 305
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52.8%
Saturated Fat 10.8 g53.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 43.5 mg14.5%
Sodium 1321.9 mg55.1%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.5%
Sugars 10 g
Protein 19 g37.3%
Vitamin A 52.2% Vitamin C 57%
Calcium 40.9% Iron 13.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet