Penne With Red Pepper Sauce
|Red bell peppers||2 Large, halved and cored|
|Green beans||1⁄4 Pound|
|Penne pasta/Other pasta||6 Ounce|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Shallots||2 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|White wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Low sodium chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tomato||1 Medium, chopped|
|Leeks||2 Small, washed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces|
|Yellow bell pepper||1 Large, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips|
|Chopped fresh rosemary||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Goat cheese||1 Ounce, crumbled (2 Tablespoons)|
1. Preheat the broiler.
2. Broil the red bell peppers about 5 inches from the heat, turning frequently, until they are charred all over. Place the peppers in a paper bag and let them steam 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring a medium-size saucepan and a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch the green beans in the saucepan about 5 minutes, or until just tender; drain and cool under cold water. Cook the pasta in the large pot of boiling water according to the package directions until al dente; set aside to drain.
4. Chop the red bell peppers, place them in a blender and puree; set aside.
5. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, and saute 1 minute. Cover and cook 4 minutes, or until the shallots are soft. Add the wine and stock, bring to a gentle boil and cook about 5 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced to about 3/4 cup. Add the tomato, leeks and yellow pepper, and simmer about 3 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Add the green beans, red pepper puree, rosemary, salt, black pepper and half of the goat cheese, and simmer 1 minute.
6. Toss the sauce with the pasta, then add the remaining cheese and toss again.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1467 Calories from Fat 283
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g48.8%
Saturated Fat 9.7 g48.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 29.8 mg9.9%
Sodium 1217 mg50.7%
Total Carbohydrates 230 g76.8%
Dietary Fiber 25.8 g103.1%
Sugars 37.5 g
Protein 47 g93.6%
Vitamin A 329.3% Vitamin C 1078.3%
Calcium 58.6% Iron 84.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet