|Milk||1 1⁄2 Pint (750 Milliliter)|
|Onion||1 Small, skinned|
|Carrot||1 Small, peeled and sliced|
|Breadcrumbs||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Ounce, grated (50 Gram)|
|Beef stock||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Vegetable oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Flour||2 1⁄2 Ounce (60 Gram)|
1. Put the milk into a large ovenproof glass bowl
with the onion, carrot, bay leaves, peppercorns and parsley. Microwave on HIGH for 4-5 minutes until the milk comes just to the boil.
2. Remove the milk from the oven, cover and leave it to infuse for 30-40 minutes.
3. Put the breadcrumbs and 30 ml (2 level tbsp) of the Parmesan cheese into a small mixing bowl, pour in the beef stock, stir well and leave the mixture to stand for 10 minutes.
4. Mix the breadcrumb mixture and egg into the ragu. Season it well with freshly grated nutmeg, salt and pepper.
5. Boil 2.3 litres (4 pints) water in a kettle and pour it into a deep casserole dish or a 2.8 litre (5 pint) ovenproof glass bowl. Add 10 ml (2 level tsp) salt and 5 ml (1 tsp) of the oil.
6. Bring the water back to a full rolling boil in the microwave oven set on HIGH. Quickly lower the cannelloni tubes into the water, cover and microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes until they are partially cooked.
7. Remove the bowl from the oven and cover it tightly with foil. Leave the cannelloni to stand for about 3 minutes until it is cooked and is firm to the bite.
8. Drain the cannelloni well and then lay them on clean tea-towels to absorb the excess moisture.
9. Strain the milk and discard the vegetables.
10. Put 75 g (3 oz) of the butter into a large ovenproof glass bowl and microwave on HIGH for 1 minute until the butter melts. Stir in the flour and microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds.
11. Gradually stir the flavoured milk into the roux and microwave on HIGH for 1 minute, then whisk well. Microwave on HIGH for 4-5 minutes until the sauce is boiling and thickened, stirring with a whisk every 30 seconds. Season the sauce well with salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg.
12. Fill the cannelloni tubes with the meat sauce and place them side by side in a large, shallow buttered ovenproof dish.
13. Pour the sauce over the cannelloni, sprinkle it with the remaining cheese and dot with the remaining butter. Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes until well heated through and the sauce is bubbling hot. Brown the top under a hot grill and serve immediately.