Penne Wrapped In Phytto
|Butter||18 Tablespoon (1 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Finely chopped shallots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Penne||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked al dente|
|Ricotta||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated fontina cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , lightly beaten|
|Finely chopped italian parsley/1 teaspoon dried||1 Tablespoon (Use Fresh)|
|Freshly ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fresh italian parsley/1 teaspoon dried||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Phyllo pastry sheets||15 (Preferably Fresh)|
1. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, add the shallots, and saute briefly, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. In a bowl, add the penne, shallots, ricotta, fontina, parme-san, eggs, parsley, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Combine well.
3. Melt remaining butter over very low heat. Keep warm. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
4. On a large work surface, place 1 phyllo sheet and brush with the melted butter. Repeat until 5 sheets in all are buttered and stacked. Work fast; there is no need to cover the rest of the phyllo with a damp cloth if it is fresh. Spoon one third of the pasta mixture along the short end of the layered phyllo closest to you; leave a 1/2 inch border on all sides. Top with 5 or 6 asparagus,depending on size, and very carefully roll the phyllo. Fold in each edge, lengthwise, and continue to roll jellyroll fashion. As you are rolling, brush with a little more melted butter. The pasta roll will be about 10 inches long and about 3 inches wide.
5. Repeat the procedure with the remaining phyllo and filling and place the 3 phyllo rolls, seam-side down, on a large buttered baking tray. With a sharp knife or razor blade, make light indentation marks, on the diagonal, into each roll (as you would to bread). Be sure not to cut too deep or you will have the mixture coming out and it will not look very pretty. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until very golden. Let sit 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4348 Calories from Fat 2769
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 314 g483%
Saturated Fat 190.2 g951.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1289.8 mg429.9%
Sodium 3525.5 mg146.9%
Total Carbohydrates 286 g95.2%
Dietary Fiber 21.7 g86.8%
Sugars 20.8 g
Protein 130 g260.8%
Vitamin A 376.3% Vitamin C 132.4%
Calcium 195.4% Iron 145.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet