Artichokes With Spinach Pasta
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Artichoke hearts||6 (Fresh)|
|Spinach spaghetti||1⁄2 Pound|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Heavy cream||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Early peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cooked|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Select artichokes that are young and fresh. Cut off the stems so that bottoms are flush, then lay artichokes on their sides. Cut off the top third and then cut each into quarters. Use a sharp knife to remove the furry "choke" just above the bottom. Dip the artichokes in a bowl of cool water in which you have 1 or 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. This will prevent discoloration as you trim the remaining artichokes.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and saute the artichoke quarters until they are tender. Remove them from the heat, transfer to a small bowl, set aside, and keep warm.
3. Cook the spinach spaghetti until al dente.
4. While the spaghetti is cooking, heat the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in the same skillet in which the artichokes were sauteed. When melted, add the garlic and saute until they just begin to color. Add the cream and heat just to the boiling point.
5. Drain the spaghetti and return it to the pan in which it cooked. Pour the sauce into the spaghetti and toss lightly. Use a rubber spatula to transfer all of this sauce into the pasta pan. Add the peas and toss lightly.
6. Transfer the spaghetti to individual plates or to 1 large bowl or platter. Sprinkle the pasta with parmesan cheese. Top with the artichoke hearts, and serve.